Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Doughscussion #1: Lucky's Doughnuts


Well, I think it’s safe to say that I've gotten my doughnut fix for the week, and then some. Upon the many recommendations from my wonderful friends, I ventured to one of the newer but still well-established doughnut shops in Vancouver: Lucky's Doughnuts on West 4th Avenue (they also have a location on Main). I also managed to make it to Lee’s Donuts in Granville Island Public Market, which I'll be reviewing soon in another post. I don't think I've put this much effort into a school assignment since the diorama days. 


Gotta get that fix. 

Is there anything better than spending quality time with friends over a couple of donuts? The answer is no, and I would like to thank this week's donut dates for taking the time to accompany me on my outings. Rosie, Erica, Allie, and Steph: I love you guys almost as much as I love doughnuts. Without further ado, here is my review of Lucky’s Doughnuts:
  • PB&J: Peanut butter and jelly is bar none one of the best combos in the world. As it was for many of you, I’m sure, this delicacy was one that I had spread on a sandwich by my mom every day for school (thanks, Mom - I retrospectively appreciate each and every one of the lunches you prepared for me). It pretty much epitomizes the days of the lunchbox. Then one day everything changed. I don’t cry often, but when I do it’s for good reason. The amount of tears that fell from my face when peanut butter was banned from my elementary school (circa grade one) could easily compete with the amount of rain that Vancouver gets each year, no joke. Now what the hell was I supposed to bring to school? Vegetables? A thermos of smelly soup? Blasphemy. I couldn’t help but slightly hate those kids with peanut allergies, and pity them too for what they were missing out on. That being said, this PB&J donut is a dream, and you don’t wanna miss out on it. The jam filling and peanut glaze are finished nicely by the crushed peanuts on top, which add a satisfying crunch to each bite. In all honesty, I think that the peanut factor could be raised a little higher – perhaps a thicker glaze would do the trick. But overall, this is one of the best and most unique doughnuts I’ve encountered so far in my journey of dough. Get on it. 



Just Dough It. 

  • Salted Caramel: Another stellar combo. Sad to say, however, that this was a surprising lunch bag letdown. Not only was the caramel burnt and the dough dry, I also couldn’t see or taste any of the supposed Maldon salt that it is supposed to be topped with. More blasphemy.
  • Lemon Poppy Seed: The underdog! Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the odd lemon poppy seed loaf, but if I had the choice I’d normally go for something else. THIS DONUT THOUGH - the most pleasant of surprises to my palette. Sweet, tangy, tart, moist, fluffy – like a loaf but less dense and with a glaze, my friends.
  • Apple Bacon Fritter: An apple bacon fritter with a maple glaze and more bacon on top. I can most certainly get down with this. Would it be excessive to wish that it actually had more maple, apple, and bacon? Cause I wish it did.


Good lookin' spread right thurr. 

So is Lucky's Doughnuts all it's cracked up to be? Yup. There is definitely room for improvement, but despite my criticisms, these are damn good doughnuts. There's a good mix of classic flavours with more adventurous ones, and they're fresh as can be. I'll definitely be going back to try some of their other flavours soon - or maybe just to get the PB&J again. 

Disagree or have issues with any of my opinions on these doughnuts? That's fine, I'm always up for a good doughbate. I also really like puns if you want to talk about those. But please don't insult me like Jim Schonfield does to Don Koharski in this video (you can stop watching at 0:35): 

Have another doughnut? I would love nothing more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment