Monday, October 21, 2013

About That Dough Though

That Dough Though is the blog I have created that will document my exploration of everyone’s favourite pastry: the doughnut. The overarching goal of the blog is to find the best, freshest doughnuts in Vancouver, and to review the doughnuts that I devour along the way. The posts will mostly consist of reviews on the donut shops I visit, in which I will talk about each of the doughnuts I try, and elaborate on how I feel about them in terms of quality, freshness, flavour, texture, and the like. At times I foresee myself adding anecdotal pieces within the reviews – for example, doughnuts were a staple of my childhood, so I’ll definitely be including some childhood stories and tidbits that I remember. In addition to my donut quest however, I am also interested in finding out more about them in general – not necessarily in a strictly historical sense, but more so in terms of their presence in pop culture, television, on the Internet, and also in those places where you wouldn’t expect to find them, like in sports. I feel like doughnuts have a kind of cult presence in pop culture, like in The Simpsons and in Canadian comedy, as in Bob and Doug MacKenzie’s Second City sketches. I’ll use photos, videos, animated GIFs, links, etc. that I find in order to make the blog more visually appealing, to break up long chunks of writing, and to add humour, among other reasons.


My blog thus falls under all three of Susannah Gardner’s categories of what a blog might do: it is a documentation of my life (one part of it), an exploration of a passion-turned-hobby, and the sharing of information through review. In terms of voice, the blog will be single-voice, and my own voice at that. What kind of voice do I hope this will be? Well, for one, I hope that it will be humorous, comical, witty and sarcastic – I will at the very least attempt to embed these qualities in my writing! It will definitely be pretty casual, as in I will address the audience as if each person reading is my good friend. I’m also hoping it will be informative and helpful for those residents of Vancouver who wish to embark on their own doughnut journeys, or who (more likely) just want to know where a good doughnut is when they’re craving one. Lastly, it will be light and playful, but definitely grounded in real information and opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment